Re: float4/float8/int64 passed by value with tsearch fixup

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: float4/float8/int64 passed by value with tsearch fixup
Date: 2008-04-20 00:03:32
Lists: pgsql-patches

> With contrib/seg also adjusted to use float4 instead of float32, and
> thus the last usage of float32 gone, I am now wondering if it would be a
> good idea to remove the float32 and float32data definitions in c.h.

Well, there might still be some references to them in add-on code, but
considering that c.h has said this since 7.1

* XXX: these typedefs are now deprecated in favor of float4 and float8.
* They will eventually go away.

it seems hard to argue that we've not given adequate notice. I'm +1
for removing them, and float64/float64data too. It's not like they're
hard to avoid using, even if you don't want to update to v1 call
convention.

If there are no objections, I'll see about pushing in the remaining
parts of the patch (the original and the just-submitted fix to allow
float4byval to be selectable) over this weekend.