Re: pgsql: Resolve timing issue with logging locks for Hot Standby.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Resolve timing issue with logging locks for Hot Standby.
Date: 2012-01-30 16:38:21
Lists: pgsql-committers
> On 01/30/2012 10:45 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Another aspect of this is that when the same-or-almost-the-same patch
>> is applied to multiple branches, it's a *lot* easier for future
>> archeology in the commit logs if the patch goes into all the affected
>> branches at the same time (and with the same commit message, please).

> Yeah, I've been pinged on this before, for exactly this reason. It makes
> release note preparation significantly easier, AIUI.

Not just release notes, but routine questions like "when was this bug
fixed, and in which branches?".  I keep a regularly-updated copy of
the output of src/tools/git_changelog (before git we used cvs2cl
to get similar output from CVS).  It's a rare day that I don't have
some occasion to consult it.  I don't appreciate committers randomly
cluttering that log by making commits that the tool doesn't know how
to merge.