Re: GUC variable renaming, redux

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUC variable renaming, redux
Date: 2007-09-24 16:50:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm sorry to raise this now. The earlier proposal for "track_" wasn't
> supported by anyone that I can see, even though we decided to change the
> way the stats parameters were arranged on those earlier threads.

Well, there was at least one other person who liked "track" at the time:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2007-07/msg00996.php
which gave it about as much support as any other alternative that was
mentioned :-(

While I don't have any strong objection to changing "track" to "monitor",
I'm not enthused by the other parts of your proposal. In particular
I do object to using "activity" for the variable that is specifically
*not* associated with feeding pg_stat_activity.