Re: Async Commit, v21 (now: v22)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Async Commit, v21 (now: v22)
Date: 2007-07-24 04:58:30
Lists: pgsql-patches
I wrote:
> (BTW, in case you can't tell from the drift of my questions, I've
> separated the patch into "add background wal writer" and "add async
> commit", and am working on the first half.)

I've committed the first half of that.  Something that still needs
investigation is what the default wal_writer_delay should be.  I left
it at 200ms as submitted, but in some crude testing here (just running
the regression tests and strace'ing the walwriter) it seemed that I had
to crank it down to 10ms before the walwriter was really doing the
majority of the wal-flushing work.