Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources

From: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Al Sutton" <al(at)alsutton(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Ulrich Neumann" <U_Neumann(at)gne(dot)de>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources
Date: 2002-11-26 09:08:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Al, to be honest I don't think the Windows native would save hassle,
rather it'd probably cause more! No disrespect to those doing the
version, read on for reasoning...

Yes, you get a beta of a Windows native version just now, yes it
probably will not be that long till the source is a available... But
how long till it's part of a cosha PostgreSQL release? Version
7.4... Could be up to six months... Do you want to run pre-release
versions in the meantime? Don't think so, not in a production
environment!

So, the real way to save hassle is probably a cheap commodity PC with
Linux installed... Or settle for the existing, non-native, Windows
version.

By the way, just to open Office documents? Have you tried OpenOffice?

Regards, Lee Kindness.