Re: BUG #4721: All sub-tables incorrectly included in search plan for partitioned table

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Eric Thompson" <eric(dot)thompson(at)salliemae(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4721: All sub-tables incorrectly included in search plan for partitioned table
Date: 2009-03-21 05:44:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

"Eric Thompson" <eric(dot)thompson(at)salliemae(dot)com> writes:
> test=# -- remove any irrelevant constraint from the master table, and now
> the date partitioning works

Hmm. Tracing through this, it seems your child tables have exactly 101
separate constraint clauses; removing one from the parent table gets it
down to 100. Which is where the cutoff installed by this patch is:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-11/msg00146.php

That patch was in response to this complaint:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-11/msg00446.php

I'm not entirely sure about a better approach; just moving the cutoff
around doesn't seem like it will do anything except change who's
complaining...