Re: BUG #3110: Online Backup introduces Duplicate OIDs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Randy Isbell (jisbell)" <jisbell(at)cisco(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3110: Online Backup introduces Duplicate OIDs
Date: 2008-06-05 15:39:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> * In the release note comments, add that in a future release we will add
> a parameter to recovery.conf "require_backup_label" which defaults to
> "true".

The problem that I'm having with that idea is that it breaks
crash-recovery after replay starts, because we intentionally remove the
backup label once we've read it.  (And no, please do not suggest
rewriting the config file ...)

Basically it seems that we need a more robust way to distinguish
"beginning a recovery" from "resuming a recovery".  Perhaps more state
in pg_control is needed?