Re: pgsql-server: Fix TAS assembly stuff for Solaris/386.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server: Fix TAS assembly stuff for Solaris/386.
Date: 2004-09-24 01:53:11
Lists: pgsql-committers

Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
> It passes regression tests,

Regression tests on what exactly --- which platform, which compiler?
(The gcc and non-gcc paths are different on Solaris, so if you can
test both it'd be worth doing. Also someone should verify that I
didn't break Solaris/Sparc, same two cases again.)

> but adds a warning:
> "../../../../src/include/storage/s_lock.h", line 661: warning: /*
> encountered inside a comment

Oops, my mistake.

> There are a number of other warnings in the compile as well. Is our goal
> a warning free compile on just gcc or all compilers?

Ideally I'd like it warning-free on everything, but I'm not sure how
practical that is. The main thing that non-gcc compilers tend to warn
about in my experience is "char *" vs "unsigned char *", of which there
are a lot of occurrences in and around the multibyte code. This does
not really seem worth cleaning up at the moment. If you see anything
that looks interesting, or readily fixable, send it in.