Re: postgresql.conf file and logging questions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: admin(at)usachurch(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql.conf file and logging questions
Date: 2004-03-28 15:28:59
Lists: pgsql-admin
admin(at)usachurch(dot)com writes:
> 1.  Where should the postgresql.conf file be to be recognized by the
> service on startup?  currently, it is inside my $PGDATA directory but
> all of its contents are commented out.

That's the correct file.  Uncomment anything you want to change.

> 2.  I can't find any log files for postgres.  Inside my /var/log/
> directory, there is an empty
> file called pgsql.  What do I have to do to get it to log errors,
> etc.

If you want to use that file you could add "-l /var/log/pgsql" to the
pg_ctl start command in your PG startup script.

> Is there a difference between normal logging and syslog logging?

Yes, one goes to a file and the other to syslog ;-)

I'd recommend syslog on the whole, since you don't normally have to
worry about rotating logfiles when you use syslog.