Re: Upgrading to Postgresql 8 on RHEL 3 (Release 9 Shrike)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fred Moseley <fredmoseley(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
Cc: Postgresql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrading to Postgresql 8 on RHEL 3 (Release 9 Shrike)
Date: 2009-05-01 17:46:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

Fred Moseley <fredmoseley(at)sbcglobal(dot)net> writes:
> I am a Linux Newbie. Never installed software on Linux OS before. I
> need to upgrade an existing Postgresql 7.3.4-3 running on RHEL 3 to
> Postgresql 8.
> From my research so far I do not believe that this configuration is
> supported. I have not been able to find the RPM files.

I don't think you'll find any prebuilt RPMs for that combination.
In principle you could build them yourself, but it might be a bit
daunting for a newbie. Is there a reason you have to use RHEL3
rather than something newer?

PG 7.3 to 8.anything is not going to be a drop-in, fire-and-forget
replacement anyway; you will be *very* well advised to plan on
application compatibility testing, and you'll need a database
dump and reload. So what might be a sane approach is to set up
a new server with a newer OS and a new database beside the old one
as an interim step, and migrate over once you're satisfied with
your testing.