Re: Re: Call for platforms

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: thomas(at)pgsql(dot)com
Cc: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org, Alexander Klimov <ask(at)wisdom(dot)weizmann(dot)ac(dot)il>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Call for platforms
Date: 2001-03-26 23:35:59
Lists: pgsql-generalpgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
>> Anyway, the last CVS update to port/ultrix.h that appears to have come
>> from someone actually using Ultrix was rev 1.2 on 7-May-97, which
>> predates the very existence of s_lock.h as a separate file.  So I'd
>> definitely advise Alexander to find a tarball from that era and look at
>> how Ultrix was handled then.
>> I dunno if we even have tarballs from that far back on-line ... I
>> suppose another possibility is a date-based pull from the CVS server.

> What can we help with Alex?

After digging around in the old code I have to retract my opinion that
a test-and-set implementation used to exist for MIPS.  The code did
have SysV-semaphore-based support for machines without test-and-set,
and undoubtedly that's what was used on the old Ultrix port.  (The
non-test-and-set code was broken for awhile, but I'd forgotten that
it formerly worked.)

The non-test-and-set case should work again in current CVS, and I'd
appreciate it if Alexander would verify that.  But as far as getting
some test-and-set support for MIPS goes, it looks like the only way
is for someone to sit down with a MIPS assembly manual.  I haven't
got one, nor access to a machine to test on...