Re: memory leak regression 9.1 versus 8.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: "Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: memory leak regression 9.1 versus 8.1
Date: 2012-05-09 22:08:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm working on an upgrade of PostgreSQL embedded in a product from
> version 8.1.x to 9.1.x. One particular PL/pgSQL function is giving us an
> issue as there seems to be a rather severe regression in memory usage --
> a query that finishes in 8.1 causes an out of memory exception on 9.1.

I see no memory leak at all in this example, either in HEAD or 9.1
branch tip. Perhaps whatever you're seeing is an already-fixed bug?

Another likely theory is that you've changed settings from the 8.1
installation. I would expect this example to eat about 10 times
work_mem (due to one tuplestore for each generate_series invocation),
and that's more or less what I see happening here. A large work_mem
could look like a leak, but it isn't.

If you need further help in debugging, try launching the postmaster
under a fairly restrictive memory ulimit, so that the backend will get a
malloc failure before it starts to swap too badly. The memory map it
will then print on stderr should point to where the memory is going.