Re: FATAL: could not read statistics message

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: alexander(dot)stanier(at)egsgroup(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FATAL: could not read statistics message
Date: 2005-07-21 05:13:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Alexander Stanier <alexander(dot)stanier(at)egsgroup(dot)com> writes:
> 2005-07-20 21:24:15 BST [13299] FATAL: could not read statistics
> message: Resource temporarily unavailable

> Does anyone know what this means?

It evidently means that the pgstat collector process got an EAGAIN errno
from recv() while trying to read a stats message. While EAGAIN is
certainly documented as a possible failure from recv(), I'm finding it
hard to see why any kernel would return that for a read from a file that
has just told select() it is read-ready. What platform are you on?
Were you having better luck with an earlier PG version, and if so which?