Re: Large object insert/update and oid use

From: "John Sidney-Woollett" <johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large object insert/update and oid use
Date: 2004-01-31 18:57:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Apologies if I missed something, but why are you using the rowid in Oracle
instead of your own primary key value (even if you are inserting 10's of
millions of records a day). A number(38) provides a range of magnitude
1E-130 .. 10E125

Using a non rowid PK value would mean that you were not at the mercy of
the database moving your data record elsewhere if it cannot be accomodated
in the original block following an update.

If you use a number(38) PK value instead of a row ID, you are *sure* that
your record is accessible regardless of updates.

Of course if you wanted to avoid building/maintaining the number(38) PK
index then that is a different matter...

John Sidney-Woollett