Re: [HACKERS] --enable-debug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] --enable-debug
Date: 2000-01-26 00:14:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> It seems that for a debugging environment you should not only put a -g on
> the command line, but also a -Wall, and you most likely do not want to
> have any optimization flags there. If no one objects I would like to make
> this adjustment. (Perhaps the debug and cassert options should even be
> merged?)

If you want --debug to imply --cassert, OK with me, but I will get upset
if you rearrange things in such a way that I can't have -O and -g and
--cassert.  In other words --cassert should not imply turning off -O.

Currently, I believe -Wall is turned on automatically if your compiler
is gcc --- at least it seems to work that way on my platform (maybe
it's in the hpux_gcc template?).  Anyway I get a pretty good set of -W
options without doing anything special.  It is real obvious that some
other developers do not run with the same options :-(, so I'd certainly
be glad to see more -W options turned on whenever the compiler is gcc,
--debug or no.