Re: Termination When Switching between PL/Perl and PL/PerlU

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Termination When Switching between PL/Perl and PL/PerlU
Date: 2010-01-14 05:37:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> David E. Wheeler wrote:
>> Found in 8.4.2, replicated in HEAD. Steps:
>>
>> 1. Create PL/Perl function.
>> 2. Run it.
>> 3. Create same function with PL/PerlU
>> 4. Run it.
>> 5. Create same function again with PL/Perl
>> 6. Boom.

> This was just discussed in -HACKERS. Have a look at the archives.

No, this is something different, because it still crashes even with the
fix for that other issue. I see this in the postmaster log:

panic: free from wrong pool.
LOG: server process (PID 15697) exited with exit code 255

There's no core dump (thank you, perl). The lower-case panic message
must be from libperl because PG has no such message. I guess that we
probably need to fix this by changing the timing of interpreter
switching relative to throwing away the old compiled function ...