Re: Why does TRIM() expect an expr_list?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Korry Douglas <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why does TRIM() expect an expr_list?
Date: 2010-04-20 17:09:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Korry Douglas <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>> That will break the ability to call trim() with ordinary function
>> syntax.

> Hmm... it seems counterintuitive to call TRIM() using ordinary
> function syntax anyway. What would the argument list look like?

"foo, bar, baz", just like any other function. This is important because
we don't use the weird keyword-ized syntax when dumping out function
calls in rules and suchlike. Also, in general it's preferable to not
prevent users from creating their own functions that happen to be named
like a system function. (I think the current code fails to achieve that
last goal because of the forced function name remapping, but perhaps it
should be fixed if we're going to mess with it.)