Re: BUG #3902: Segmentation faults using GSSAPI authentication

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3902: Segmentation faults using GSSAPI authentication
Date: 2008-01-27 03:39:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Looking into it more, it looks like the server is restarting every
> time it encounters this. I was wrong thinking that it stayed crashed,
> I guess I was just looking at a stale connection.

I think you misunderstand what is happening. The parent postmaster
process is not restarting, because it did not crash. The crash is
happening in a child process that is forked off by the postmaster to
service a particular connection.

> Since the server restarts and any connections either go away forever
> or just reset, post-crash stack traces won't do much good.

No, we want a stack trace from the crash. You could attach gdb to the
child process after forking and before you provoke the crash; or arrange
for a core dump file to be produced and gdb that.