Re: BUG #6238: ECPG converts "long long" to long on Windows

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jim Gray <jim(dot)gray(at)bull(dot)com>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6238: ECPG converts "long long" to long on Windows
Date: 2011-10-16 20:15:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Does ecpg have a different requirement from everything else, or are we just
> doing it differently in different places for no special reason?

I believe that in ecpg, the requirement is "support the data types
defined by the C compiler", that is we should support long long with
whatever width it actually has on the platform. Just about everyplace
else in PG, we want an integer of a known number of bits, and whether
that's long or long long is incidental. So it's not surprising to me
that this case got overlooked in the win64 patches.