Re: PostgreSQL-9.0alpha: jade required?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Lou Picciano <loupicciano(at)comcast(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL-9.0alpha: jade required?
Date: 2010-02-24 17:16:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Related to this I have noticed in recent weeks on my own development
> machine that "make install" takes *much* longer, but only sporadically,
> due to the docs building.

This might be related to Peter's changes to the docs build procedure.
The way things work now is that if you've built the docs in the past,
and haven't cleaned them out with "make maintainer-clean" (distclean
doesn't cut it), then an ordinary "make install" will install the
html files --- and first it will update them if they're out of date
relative to the source SGML files.

This bites me regularly in my own source tree, since a "cvs update"
will often bring in new SGML files. My usual work flow is
"make distclean; cvs update; configure; make; make install"
and the lack of removal of previously built docs triggers an unwanted
rebuild. I've complained about this but I have to admit that I
don't see a very clean solution, since we can't have make distclean
removing the built docs. I'll probably have to adjust my workflow.

That doesn't in itself explain a problem with building from the
alpha tarball though. Is it possible there's a clock skew problem
in the tarball's file timestamps?