Re: Linux Distributions

From: David Gilbert <dgilbert(at)velocet(dot)ca>
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl(at)sdf(dot)lonestar(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Darley <pdarley(at)kinesis-cem(dot)com>, Pgsql-Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux Distributions
Date: 2002-03-06 21:54:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

Andy> On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Peter Darley wrote:
>> Andy, I've got nothing against FreeBSD, except that I'm familiar
>> with Linux and not with BSD. What is it about FreeBSD that is
>> going to make it faster than Linux? Any idea where I can find some
>> comparative benchmarks? Thanks, Peter Darley

Andy> I don't mean to start a flame war here...

Andy> Actually, I've seen benchmarks (but don't remember where they
Andy> are) that show that Linux and FreeBSD are amazingly equal at
Andy> most activities on equivalent hardware.

Andy> My point is, machines are faster when they are actually running.

Well... from experience, there are points where FreeBSD has strong
advantages. Memory management is an obvious one. NFS is is another.
Softupdates (the native file system) also has a small edge. We run a
linux binary on a FreeBSD cluster (100-or-so nodes) because the
FreeBSD cluster will do about 5% more work than the exact same
hardware booted with linux (we actually use a diskless DHCP boot ---
so we can quickly swap back and forth to test).

5% isn't a huge difference, but it is a real world application.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Velocet Communications. | Two things can only be |
|Mail: dgilbert(at)velocet(dot)net | equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca | are precisely opposite. |