Re: finding strings with quotes

From: Alban Hertroys <dalroi(at)solfertje(dot)student(dot)utwente(dot)nl>
To: Christine Penner <chris(at)fp2(dot)ca>
Cc: Postgres-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: finding strings with quotes
Date: 2011-02-26 09:47:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On 25 Feb 2011, at 21:45, Christine Penner wrote:

> I'm trying to do a select to find on a char field that has a single quote but getting errors. This is what I'm doing:
>
> Select * from f_buildings where B_STRET_LNE_CON='BERLETT\'S ROAD'
>
> The text I'm trying to find is BERLETT'S ROAD
>
> If I do the same thing but have double quotes in the string instead of single quotes this works.

You probably have set standard_conforming_strings to 'on'.
In that case you should either use:
SELECT E'BERLETT\'S ROAD';
SELECT 'BERLETT''S ROAD';
Or set standard_conforming_strings TO 'off', in which case you'll just get a warning.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4d68cc3d11735859949296!