syncing - between databases

From: John Fabiani <johnf(at)jfcomputer(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: syncing - between databases
Date: 2012-05-12 14:28:16
Lists: pgsql-sql
I need to maintain a sync-ed table across several databases.  For example I
have a customer table in 5 databases.  If a user of any of the databases
inserts a new customer I need to insert the new record into the other four
databases.  But question is updates and deletes.

I can use a trigger and dblink to update the other databases when the action
is an insert because in each of the other databases I don't have to worry
about a locked record.  But what happens if a user is updating at the same
moment as a different user in a different database is updating the same
customer.  Can a race condition occur?

I was thinking I could create a master database.  And have all the other
databases use dblink to excute the master trigger.

Any advise would be helpful,

Johnf

pgsql-sql by date

Next:From: Steven CrandellDate: 2012-05-13 03:53:52