Re: Is This A Set Based Solution?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stefan Berglund <sorry(dot)no(dot)koolaid(at)for(dot)me>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is This A Set Based Solution?
Date: 2007-03-12 14:41:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Stefan Berglund <sorry(dot)no(dot)koolaid(at)for(dot)me> writes:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:37:08 -0500, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane) wrote:
>> It looks pretty ugly to me too, but you haven't explained your problem
>> clearly enough for anyone to be able to recommend a better solution path.
>> Why do you feel you need to do this? What is the context?

> What I want to do is to create a function that takes a comma separated
> string of numbers and produces a table (where each row is one of those
> numbers) that can be joined to other tables as in the example first
> provided.

That was what you said before. The question is why you need to do that.
It strikes me that having such a requirement is a symptom of poor data
representation choices. Perhaps an array would be better, or maybe you
ought to refactor your table layout altogether. But, as I said, you
haven't provided any info that would let someone give advice at that
level.