Re: pg_dumpall bug & feature request

From: Ivan <Ivan-Sun1(at)mail(dot)ru>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall bug & feature request
Date: 2005-11-03 14:33:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello Alvaro,

AH> Ivan wrote:

AH> Hi,

>> Perhaps you missed my previous message.
>> pg_dumpall has not -f command line option
>> to specify output file - it always send output
>> to standart output. But there is an issue with
>> it in Windows (I described it earlier) - function's
>> line endings are changed from 0D 0A to 0D 0D 0A.

AH> Hmm, what do you need that for? Why don't you directly restore the
AH> binary dump to a database by using option -d?

I don't need to restore binary dump. I need to make a dump of the
whole database cluster to plain sql file (what pg_dumpall does).
So I have to redirect pg_dumpall's output to a file
pg_dump [options] > cluster_dump.sql
When I do it on Windows, it creates cluster_dump.sql file
BUT in that file all sql and plpgsql function bodies are corrupted! -
each line in the body ends with 0D 0D 0A sequence instead of 0D 0A -
therefor functions after restoring looks like:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "foo"()
RETURNS bar AS
$$

select * from "bar"

where bla-bla

order by bla-bla;

$$
LANGUAGE 'sql' VOLATILE;

instead of

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "foo"()
RETURNS bar AS
$$
select * from "bar"
where bla-bla
order by bla-bla;
$$
LANGUAGE 'sql' VOLATILE;

- extra blank lines are added.

So it would be great if the output redirection ">" will be workaround
for example the same way like in pg_dump it is done - via -f file
option.

Thank you for support.

--
Best regards,