Re: Internationalization

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)fireserve(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Internationalization
Date: 2004-07-01 01:28:46
Lists: pgsql-general
Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)fireserve(dot)net> writes:
> Is there anyway for a single statement to access more than one database?
> Could a query, regexes, etc be facing indexes in different
> encodings/sorting collations if different databases in a cluster had
> different encodings/collations?

The indexes on the shared system tables (eg, pg_database) are the only
issue here.  One possible solution is to require that no locale-aware
datatypes ever be used in these indexes.  I think right now this is true
because "name" doesn't use locale-aware sorting; but we'd have to be
careful not to break the restriction in future.