Re: Using pgAdmin and pgAgent with Greenplum

From: "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>
To: 'Dave Page' <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using pgAdmin and pgAgent with Greenplum
Date: 2007-10-31 15:35:16
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
> Roberts, Jon wrote:
> > There are three problems with having a custom connection string for each
> > step.  1) If I need to update the connection like change the password, I
> > have to do it for each step.  2) Developers will see the password in
> clear
> > text.
>
> I consider those irrelevant because plastered all over the docs will be
> something like "Don't use passwords here, put them in pgpass files
> instead". Besides, #2 would be the case even if you defined the servers
> in a separate table.

I was unaware of pgpass.  So you are saying I would create/edit the file to
have hostname:port:database:username:password and then in the step, I would
just reference the hostname?  If so, I completely agree with you and that
would be awesome!

I'm guessing I can use pgpass with dblink too?

Jon

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2007-10-31 18:49:01