Re: Some minor changes to pgbench

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Some minor changes to pgbench
Date: 2006-08-23 05:52:34
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
> * The schema now uses foreign keys to more accurately reflect a finacial DDL

Addition of foreign key checking will certainly impact performance
significantly.

> * The history table now has a primary key that uses a serial

Ditto.

> * The respective balance columns have been increased to int8 to deal
> with larger values

Ditto.

> * Initalization will be done in a new schema/namespace, pgbench will
> exit if this schema/namespace exists

OK, maybe that doesn't matter.

> * The new DDL should allow both Mammoth Replicator and Slony to be
> tested using pgbench (at least basic replication)

Erm ... exactly why couldn't you do that before?

pgbench doesn't have all that many things to recommend it, but what
it does have is that it's been a stable testbed across quite a few
PG releases.  Arbitrarily whacking around the tested functionality
will destroy that continuity.  I fell into this trap before myself
... I have a local copy of pgbench that produces TPS numbers quite
a lot better than the standard pgbench, against exactly the same
server.  What's wrong with that picture?