Re: preload libraries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: flickchick_one <flickchick_one(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: preload libraries
Date: 2007-05-22 17:43:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

flickchick_one <flickchick_one(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I'm attempting to preload a shared object file (match.so) in order to create a C function in postgres that use will use it. To do this, I've added the following line to the postgresql.conf file:

> preload_libraries = '/etc/postgresql/8.1/main/match.so'

> Now when attempting to start the server, I receive the following error message:

> Postgresql server failed to start. Please check the log output:

> Although the message says to check the log for additional info, and a log is created for the event, the file is empty.

The error message is most likely going to postmaster's stderr, which
might or might not be captured by whatever logging setup you're using.
Try starting the postmaster "by hand", ie just "postmaster -D wherever",
and see if you get anything useful.

It sounds like it's probably an object-file compatibility problem, but
need the message to guess exactly what...