Re: Assigning a return value from a function to a variable.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Betsy Barker <betsy(dot)barker(at)supportservicesinc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Assigning a return value from a function to a variable.
Date: 2004-07-16 03:35:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

Betsy Barker <betsy(dot)barker(at)supportservicesinc(dot)com> writes:
> The error is:
> Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function calc_facilities
> WARNING: line 166 at assignment
> ERROR: syntax error at or near ";"

Offhand this sounds like a pretty simple syntactic error --- like one
too many semicolon, or one too few --- but there's no chance of
diagnosing it from the info you've given us. Could you send along the
exact text of your plpgsql function for maybe 10 lines around line 166
(and be sure to mark exactly which line is 166 down from the function
body start)?

FWIW, we're aware that plpgsql's syntactic error messages could use
work, and I think that 7.5 will do at least a bit better in this area.
But for the moment, you need to give more info to make it clear what
is going wrong.