Re: [INTERFACES] More VB

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Stephen Martin Trans-Euro I(dot)T Ltd" <stephen(at)sealteam(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "pg-interfaces" <pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] More VB
Date: 1999-07-24 15:27:16
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

"Stephen Martin Trans-Euro I.T Ltd" <stephen(at)sealteam(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> whilst it seems driving libpq.dll from VB might be a difficult
> enterprise.. is it still not possible to just connect a socket to
> port 5432 of where ever and start communicating with postgres through
> a socket? TCP or UDP?

Sure, if you can cope with binary-oriented data structures being
returned to you by the server. (The actual data is text, as long as you
don't use BINARY CURSORs, but it's wrapped in header and count fields
that are not.) libpq isn't doing anything that's particularly magic.
See the "Frontend/Backend Protocol" chapter of the Developer's Guide for
all the gory details of the client-to-server protocol.