Re: RangeTblEntry modifications

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RangeTblEntry modifications
Date: 2001-07-01 04:47:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com> writes:
> I think I just understood what you were saying: having tupleDesc in RTE is
> not kosher, because RTE can last longer than a given tupleDesc?

Depends where you got the tupleDesc from --- if you copy it into the
parse context then it's OK in terms of not disappearing. However,
that doesn't mean it's still *valid*. Consider

begin;
declare foo cursor for select * from bar;
create view v1 as select * from cursor foo;
end;

Now the cursor foo is no more, but v1 still exists ... what happens
when we try to select from v1?