Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Negative LIMIT and OFFSET?
Date: 2007-12-14 23:42:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I even found an existing, unused error message called
> ERRCODE_INVALID_LIMIT_VALUE

That's a bad idea I think. That code is defined by SQL99. I can't find
anyplace that they specify what it should be raised for, but we can be
pretty confident that it's not meant for LIMIT. I think we should
just use INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE.

How do people feel about applying this to 8.3, rather than holding it?
One possible objection is that we're past string freeze, but I noted
Peter doing some message editorializing as recently as today, so it
would seem a slushy freeze at best.