Re: Proposal: Change of pg_trigger.tg_enabled and adding pg_rewrite.ev_enabled

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Change of pg_trigger.tg_enabled and adding pg_rewrite.ev_enabled
Date: 2007-01-26 00:33:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
>>> A fires always
>>> N fires never
>>> O fires on transaction origin only
>>> R fires on replica only

> Good question. I don't know. I'd rather error on the safe side and make
> it multiple states, for now I only have Normal and Replica mode.

Hm, "N" up there seems easily confused with "Normal". Perhaps a less
mistake-prone coding would be

1 fires always
0 fires never
N fires in "Normal" mode
R fires in "Replica" mode
other letters available for other future mode values?

If you consistently think of "origin" and "replica" modes then the
original proposal is better (using both 0 and O would be Real Bad),
but your use of "normal" and "replica" in the followup makes me wonder
which terminology is more common.