Re: URGENT: Storage disk

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Ana Claudia <ana-b-dias(at)ptinovacao(dot)pt>, "'pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: URGENT: Storage disk
Date: 2002-11-24 12:46:47
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi Ana,

I dont think this is any related to pgadmin, but anyway:
On i386 the binary for 7.2 is about 3.5MB + 0.5MB libs
So you can store some data on the remaining 20MB (if you
take in account what an initdb will cost space)
Its of course depending on what data you want to store
and how many indices you want to create. It also depends
on the architecture. May be other DBs can have a smaller
footprint on the binaries, but I dont think they are
also smaller with the data. (Postgres stores Text fields
always compressed)
It will have nothing to do with the kernel (other then the
Filesystem you want to use as different filesystems use
different block sizes) If the whole system and the db schould
fit along with many data, you should consider buying a larger
CF disk, they are not so expensive anymore.

Regards
Tino

--On Freitag, 22. November 2002 15:13 +0000 Ana Claudia