Call for port testing on fmgr changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: Franz(dot)Sirl-kernel(at)lauterbach(dot)com, Ryan Kirkpatrick <pgsql(at)rkirkpat(dot)net>
Subject: Call for port testing on fmgr changes
Date: 2000-06-14 16:55:20
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-ports
I have finished updating about half of Postgres' builtin functions to
the new style of fmgr interface.  At this point, everything that accepts
any pass-by-value datatypes is converted; the remaining work is for
functions that use only pass-by-reference datatypes, and therefore
receive only pointer arguments.

This should already take care of function-call-related portability
problems on many platforms.  In particular these changes should
eliminate the need for Ryan Kirkpatrick's Linux/Alpha patches, and
should also solve the known problems on PPC builds with optimization
higher than -O0.  We might be able to increase the optimization level
on other platforms that have had trouble with function-call
optimizations, too.

I'd like to get the current code tested by some people with Alphas
(or other 64-bit platforms), PPCs, and anything else that has had
optimization-related problems.  You can get the 7.1 development code
from our CVS server, or use the current daily-snapshot tarball (see
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/dev/).

pgsql-ports by date