Re: REQ: build src/backend/postgres w/o -lncurses or -lreadline

From: "Todd R(dot) Eigenschink" <todd(at)tekinteractive(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: REQ: build src/backend/postgres w/o -lncurses or -lreadline
Date: 2001-05-16 16:26:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Peter Eisentraut writes:
>> I don't see much value in fixing this just for libreadline (and even
>> less in fixing it by disabling readline support entirely).  I think I
>> recall Peter E. having mentioned that there'd be a better answer in
>> autoconf 2.50 ... so I'm inclined not to touch the problem until that
>> comes out.
>
>I don't see how autoconf 2.50 ("any day now") would change anything here.
>We could make up new variables like READLINE_LIBS, but where do we stop?
>I don't have a good answer.

Short of a separate configure script, there probably isn't one.

If you feel like doing *something*, my patch to "sed" out the
libraries would be really simple.  Otherwise, it's not a big deal for
me to just rebuild src/backend/postgres with a slightly altered
command line.  Once the initial "make" finishes, it only takes about
15 seconds.

And of course, most people don't/won't care or notice.  The extra
unneeded dependencies just make me feel dirty. :-)

Todd