Re: Apologies if you don't consider this a bug and I've wasted your time.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Ingram <ingram(at)samsixedd(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Apologies if you don't consider this a bug and I've wasted your time.
Date: 2004-08-28 03:21:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Steve Ingram <ingram(at)samsixedd(dot)com> writes:
> When I pg_dump out the database, it outputs all the tables, functions, types
> as you'd expect, but it outputs table definitions that reference postgis
> functions/types *before* the functions/types themselves.

Yeah, this is pretty likely if you did any ALTER TABLE or similar
commands anywhere along the line.  The dump order is dependent on the
original creation order of the objects (tables, functions, etc) and so
it's pretty easy to break it by adding columns or indexes to
pre-existing tables.

8.0's pg_dump attempts to deal with this by paying attention to
dependencies, but no earlier release does anything at all credible.

FWIW, pg_restore does have options to alter the reload order, which
may be an easier workaround than editing a textual dump.