PostgreSQL 7.1b5 + OpenSSL 0.9.4 Name Conflict under Solaris 7

From: Matt Prazak <prazak(at)scra(dot)org>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL 7.1b5 + OpenSSL 0.9.4 Name Conflict under Solaris 7
Date: 2001-03-12 15:13:53
Lists: pgsql-ports

PostgreSQL 7.1beta5 did not compile on my machine without a workaround
after configuring with the "--with-ssl" switch. Here is some of the
output from the uname command:

SunOS 5.7 sun4m sparc

The problem was a name conflict between function declarations in
/usr/include/crypt.h and
<OpenSSL_0.9.4_basedir>/include/openssl/des.h. The workaround was to
comment out the inclusion of crypt.h in

<PostgresSQL_basedir>/src/backend/libpq/crypt.c
<PostgresSQL_basedir>/src/backend/libpq/password.c
<PostgresSQL_basedir>/src/interfaces/libpq/fe-auth.c
<PostgresSQL_basedir>/src/interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c

so that the OpenSSL declarations were favored. After compilation, the
regression tests (gmake check) all passed (after creating and su-ing
to the postgres user). I have done some work with the installed
instance of PostgreSQL with no issues so far, but I'm not sure that I
have exercised the code that relied on crypt.h/des.h, yet.

I have not tried to compile PostgreSQL before, so I cannot say whether
this problem is new; however, crypt.h appears to be part of the
standard set of header files in /usr/include (it is part of the
SUNWhea package).

--
Matthew W. Prazak, Systems Engineer
Logicon Information Systems and Services

Telephone: (843) 760-3212
E-Mail...: prazak(at)scra(dot)org
Fax......: (843) 760-3780