Re: Installing Multiple Versions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Rod MacNeil" <rmacneil(at)interactdirect(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing Multiple Versions
Date: 2005-02-04 16:33:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Rod MacNeil" <rmacneil(at)interactdirect(dot)com> writes:
> I have a need to install multiple versions on my linux box (7.1.2 & 7.4.x on FC3). Both will be installed from source. I know that they will need separate install and data directories and use sepearate ports. My question is about the libraries. I usually put their location in ld.so.conf. Do both of the library directories go in ld.so.conf (and in which order) or just the most recent version?

For versions that far apart I think you'll need both libpq versions. If
the .so files have distinct major version numbers (I forget where 7.1
was) then it should Just Work. Otherwise you might want to cheat and
alter the major version number of the 7.1 .so file so it can be
installed in parallel with the newer one without problems.