Re: [BUG] PostgreSQL 7.0.3 backend dumps core.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alan Turner <alan(at)suburbia(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUG] PostgreSQL 7.0.3 backend dumps core.
Date: 2000-11-28 15:22:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Alan Turner <alan(at)suburbia(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> test=# CREATE FUNCTION "f2" ( ) RETURNS magic AS '
> test'# DECLARE
> test'# x RECORD;
> test'# BEGIN
> test'# x.one := 1;
> test'# x.two := 2;
> test'# RETURN x;
> test'# END;
> test'# ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
> CREATE
> test=# select f2();
> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.

I think this coding should be rejected, but evidently it's not. My
understanding of "record" in plpgsql is that it's just a placeholder
name for a tuple type determined elsewhere. In this situation the
exact type of x is never determined, and so you shouldn't be able to
assign to fields of x. Ooops.

In the meantime, it might work if you declare "x magic" instead of
"x record".