Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)codelibre(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Brad T(dot) Sliger" <brad(at)sliger(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)debian(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output
Date: 2009-09-30 14:57:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Roger Leigh wrote:
>> Here we just force the locale to C. This does have the disadvantage
>> that --no-locale is made redundant, and any tests which are dependent
>> upon locale (if any?) will be run in the C locale.

> That is not a solution.

Right. I think you may have missed the point of what Peter was saying:
it's okay to force the locale to C on the *client* side of the tests.
The trick is to not change the environment that the temp server is
started with. This will take some redesign inside pg_regress, I think.
Probably initialize_environment needs to be split into two functions,
one that's run before firing off the temp server and one that runs
after.