Re: Date with time zone

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Eduardo Piombino <drakorg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Date with time zone
Date: 2009-11-28 23:57:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Eduardo Piombino <drakorg(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I see current criteria and all the SQL-standard compliance policy, but
> wouldn't it still make sense to be able to store a date reference, along
> with a time zone reference?
> Wouldn't it be useful, wouldn't it be elegant?

It seems pretty ill-defined to me, considering that many jurisdictions
don't switch daylight savings time at local midnight. How would you
know which zone applied on a DST transition date?

> On the other hand, I don't really see the reasons of this statement:
> "Although the date type *cannot *have an associated time zone, the time type
> can."
> Why is this so?

Because the SQL committee were smoking something strange that day.
You won't find anybody around here who will defend the existence of
TIME WITH TIME ZONE. We only put it in for minimal spec compliance.