Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clean shutdown and warm standby
Date: 2009-05-28 22:09:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Thus there is no guarantee that this is sufficient to have archived all
> the files you would like to archive. The patch does not provide a clean
> shutdown in all cases and since you don't know what state its in, you
> are still forced to take external action to be safe, exactly as you do
> already.

> If I didn't already say, I came up with exactly the same solution 2
> years ago and then later explained it didn't work in all cases. I'm
> saying the same thing again here now.

What's your point?  Surely the applied patch is a *necessary* component
of any attempt to try to ensure archiving is complete at shutdown.
I agree that it doesn't cover every risk factor, and there are some
risk factors that cannot be covered by Postgres itself.  But isn't it
a step in a desirable direction?