Re: Question about Oracle compatibility

From: Pete Forman <pete(dot)forman(at)westgeo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question about Oracle compatibility
Date: 2000-11-28 09:59:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Mario Weilguni writes:
 > This gets really bad when the actual data is coming from a
 > webinterface, I've to handle 2 different queries for the case empty
 > string and non-empty string.

In their documentation both Oracle 7 and 8 state:

    Oracle currently treats a character value with a length of zero
    as null.  However, this may not continue to be true in future
    releases, and Oracle recommends that you do not treat empty
    strings the same as NULLs.

--
Pete Forman                 -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
Western Geophysical           -./\.-  by myself and does not represent