Re: Question about Oracle compatibility

From: Pete Forman <pete(dot)forman(at)westgeo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question about Oracle compatibility
Date: 2000-11-28 09:59:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Mario Weilguni writes:
 > This gets really bad when the actual data is coming from a
 > webinterface, I've to handle 2 different queries for the case empty
 > string and non-empty string.

In their documentation both Oracle 7 and 8 state:

    Oracle currently treats a character value with a length of zero
    as null.  However, this may not continue to be true in future
    releases, and Oracle recommends that you do not treat empty
    strings the same as NULLs.

Pete Forman                 -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
Western Geophysical           -./\.-  by myself and does not represent
pete(dot)forman(at)westgeo(dot)com         -./\.-  the opinion of Baker Hughes or  -./\.-  its divisions.