Re: Required make version

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Required make version
Date: 2008-02-27 06:28:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> ... This was in response to your request

> So obviously, there are a few possible solutions. We just have to
> pick one we like best.

Check.

> We could actually query make whether it supports order-only prerequisites and
> only use the developer-optimized rules in that case. That would mean,
> however, that the optimized rules would only be used with GNU make 3.81 or
> higher. I read earlier that you use 3.79.1, so then you still wouldn't get
> the behavior you want.

Well, it's not that I'm unwilling to install something newer, but I
deliberately run a trailing-edge toolchain on this particular machine
as a sanity check on what we require to build. I don't think we should
increase our build tool requirements without a fairly good reason, and
my essentially-cosmetic request doesn't seem to me to be a good enough
reason.

Of the alternatives mentioned so far, suppressing the command echo
really seems the best to me ...