Re: Authoring Tools WAS: Switching to XML

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Authoring Tools WAS: Switching to XML
Date: 2006-12-11 19:08:03
Lists: pgsql-docs
>> I tried opening postgres.xml in OpenOffice 2.0, and it just showed me
>> the raw text and markup --- no indication that it understood xml at all.
>> Is there some special incantation needed?

> I found that I had to remove the <? xml declartion and only have the
> docbook dtd declartion.

> Warning, it is ugly :) but it does indeed work.

Only for exceedingly small values of "work".  I tried that, and got
a display showing all the text run together in a single paragraph.
I changed one word and re-saved, and got a file that had basically
nothing to do with the original --- it's been arbitrarily reformatted,
and most of the original markup is gone.

Perhaps later versions are better, but the OO version currently available
in Fedora 5 appears utterly useless for our purposes.

Can you show me an authoring tool that does *not* think it's OK to
mangle the low-level text in "semantically irrelevant" ways?  We might
as well forget about the concept of a doc patch if people start using
tools like this --- if a one-word change results in diffs across the
whole file, the tool is not usable.