Re: Do we want a CVS branch now?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we want a CVS branch now?
Date: 2002-09-30 04:20:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>> I don't think we want a branch for 7.4 yet.  We still have lots of open
>> issues and the branch will require double-patching.

> Merge the changes on the 7.3 branch into the 7.4 branch after 7.3 is
> released.

Why is that better than the other direction?

We can't afford to allow much divergence between the two branches so
long as we are engaged in wholesale double-patching, so I think it
really comes down to the same thing in the end: we are not ready for 7.4
development to start in earnest, whether there's a CVS branch for it or
not.