Re: NT FAQ needs updating

From: Pete Forman <gsez020(at)kryten(dot)bedford(dot)waii(dot)com>
To: 520083510237-0001(at)t-online(dot)de (Peter Eisentraut)
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NT FAQ needs updating
Date: 2000-09-26 08:18:09
Lists: pgsql-ports
Peter Eisentraut writes:
 > What do you think of the following wording:
 >
 > 2.  Install the cygipc package, available at
 >     <http://cygutils.netpedia.net/V1.1/cygipc/>.  Do not use
 >     versions prior to 1.03, they will not work.

That should either be "prior to 1.04" or "1.03 or earlier".

 > Also, did you have to use the include files from src/win32?  Two of
 > them are empty anyway, and one isn't used by the source AFAICS.

I did copy them though I opted to put them in /usr/local/include.

endian.h only serves to include sys/param.h, which is in B20 and 1.1.
backend/libpq/pqformat.c is the only file to reference endian.h and
should get its BYTE_ORDER from sys/param.h.

sys/un.h is used but is supplied in 1.1 though not B20.

netinet/tcp.h is empty and is not in either Cygwin package.  Two files
include it.  It is necessary, being non-empty in UNIX.  I guess that
it is needed to define TCP_NODELAY.  The canonical header for that is
xti.h in UNIX95 onwards.  Older unices had it in netinet/tcp.h.  Cygwin
has it in winsock.h and cygwin/socket.h.  I presume that one of those
is included indirectly.

So your list should have a new item inserted between 5 and 6 ( -> 7 ).

"""
6.  Copy <PostgreSQL>/src/win32/tcp.h to <Cygwin>/include/netinet/.
    (For versions of Cygwin prior to 1.1 see src/win32/README.)
"""

--
Pete Forman                 -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
Western Geophysical           -./\.-  by myself and does not represent