Re: Inlining comparators as a performance optimisation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inlining comparators as a performance optimisation
Date: 2011-11-18 14:11:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 5:20 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I think that we should really consider doing with this patch what Tom
>> suggested upthread; namely, looking for a mechanism to allow
>> individual datatypes to offer up a comparator function that doesn't
>> require bouncing through FunctionCall2Coll().

> I don't think its credible to implement that kind of generic
> improvement at this stage of the release cycle.

Er, *what*?  We're in mid development cycle, we are nowhere near
release.  When exactly would you have us make major changes?

In any case, what I understood Robert to be proposing was an add-on
feature that could be implemented in one datatype at a time.  Not
a global flag day.  We couldn't really do the latter anyway without
making life very unpleasant for authors of extension datatypes.